After you are discharged from the hospital, it is important for you to continue your rehabilitation to successfully regain as much mobility and strength in your hip as possible.
At the Salem Health Rehabilitation Center, an outpatient therapist will develop an exercise program — sometimes including aquatic therapy — to help guide you through the complete rehabilitation of your hip joint.
The amount of time needed to fully rehabilitate a hip replacement varies from patient to patient, but can last several months as both strength and endurance increase.
In outpatient rehabilitation, your therapist will provide guidance on:
- Regaining functional range of motion in the hip.
- Strengthening muscles surrounding the hip with emphasis on the hip abductor.
- Independence in daily living activities.
- Pain management, with the goal to exercise comfortably.
- Returning to daily activities with full-functionality and no pain.
At our on-site aquatic therapy pool, resistance and buoyancy from the water relieves stress from joints, allowing patients to exercise with less pain than with land-based exercises.
For more information about the Salem Health Rehabilitation Center and our joint replacement rehabilitation program, call 503-561-5986.