Claustrophobia (fear of confined or closed in spaces) is not uncommon with people during the first few attempts at wearing a CPAP mask.
Here are some tips to help you adjust to the mask. Once you are comfortable with the first suggestion move on to the others. If you need help please call the Sleep Center or your CPAP supplier.
While you are awake sitting in a comfortable quiet place:
- Hold the mask up to your face without any of the other parts.
- Try wearing the mask with the straps loosely attached.
- Next, without the straps attached, connect the hose to your mask and the CPAP device. Turn the device on, use the ramp feature. Remember to RELAX.
- Finally, while you are awake, wear the mask with the straps and with the air pressure from your CPAP device on.
- After you are comfortable with the above, try sleeping with it on.